Image Map

Monday, February 17, 2014

Writing Reflection and Peer Editing

This cute writing reflection made me smile!  Check out the lowercase i!  This is an example of writing reflection/peer editing that we do called TAG.  I got his acronym from an idea of Pinterest which I thought was cute and simple.  T stands for Tell the writer something about the writing.  A stands for Ask a question about the writing.  G stands for a Give a suggestion to help with writing.  There are all sorts of cute forms you can use, but we just use a simple sheet of paper.  We looked at this student's writing on the document camera and each student filled out a TAG form for her.  While they did that she reflected on her own writing after it was presented.  I have also made copies of student writing and passed that out to each "editor".  I started teaching this in small groups and then moved to big groups so I could really go over how to give effective feedback.  We do this whole class, but students also do this in small groups while waiting for writing conferences if they have finished a piece.  It is simple, clear, and fun for the first graders to do.  I let them sometimes use special "teacher" pens to write with, and that motivates them even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment