Image Map

Monday, February 9, 2015

Another week of fun and learning . . .

So I started out wanting to make silhouettes with my students with my students to go with this beautiful writing that they did about what is the one best thing that they could do to change the world (inspired by our study of Martin Luther King Jr.).  Since overheads are no more at our school (and that is the way I've always done it), I did some investigating and decided to try to use photos and PowerPoint. Here's the steps:
1)  Take photo (I had a parent help and we used a smart phone).
2)  Email photo to computer.
3)  Drag photo into Power Point and then double click on center.  Then hit recolor.  From there you can get creative. Originally, I was just going to recolor all black, like a silhouette, but they looked so cool like this that I just left them as is.  Check out their cuteness!



We've also been very busy with trying to explain in math using mathematical practices.  Kids are getting great at using structure, precision, and beginning to use discourse more to understand their classmates' work.  We are blessed with these write on desks, so after they do their problem, they give feedback.  If they do not understand something or if they like the thinking they can talk to the person or write down their questions/thoughts.  They also have been using dimes and pennies to express tens and ones.  It's so important that these little guys see coins! They rarely get a chance to see them anymore.

                        



On the above video one of my students is using the retell chart and I was SO happy that she used the vocabulary we've been working on!  The retell chart is great for teaching vocabulary, story elements, and of course retell and summary.  Other photos are all from our work with Happy Birthday Moon this week.  The kids are loving the unit and finding evidence, retelling, and rereading our little book.  The character trait to the right made me laugh so hard!  If interested in the unit see my TPT store or the link below:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Happy-Birthday-Moon-Common-Core-Reading-and-Writing-Unit-1668717






And my favorite part of the day:  Gratitude!  Above are some adorable gratitude statements from the end of the day.

  
Warmly,
Valerie


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm following all the Vegas bound bloggers on the forum thread. I'd love to have you follow me back @ itsabouttimeteachers.blogspot.com. Super excited for Vegas!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will for sure! I hope I get to make it to Vegas! Just working out schedule details with my little ones. I really am excited to learn more.

      Delete