Image Map

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Parent Teacher Conferences -Together we are better!

After almost 20 years of doing parent/teacher conferences they are not the scary thing they once used to be for me.  I really enjoy meeting the parents and sharing how their kids are in school.  Here are some things I've learned over the years. 

1) Start with the positive ... always.

Each and everyone of the kids we teach have many wonderful qualities.  I like to celebrate them first.  Below is a form that I use to guide my conferences.

I also like to ask what strengths the parents see at home.  Sometimes the parents and teachers see different things as strengths.  This is always a great conversation.


2)  If you have an exceptionally kind, considerate, or conscientious student, tell mom and/or dad "Good Job!"
  

While parenting doesn't account for all great traits in kids, it really does play a big role in a lot of them.  As a mom, I know we don't hear compliments a lot, but when I do get a compliment (as a mom) I absolutely treasure it.  It also sets the tone for a positive conference.  Before I had kids, I always asked the parents of the kids that were wonderful in my class the kinds of things they did as parents.  It was my way of learning from them.  I always remember that parents are a child's first and most important teacher. 

3) Listen and ask questions.

I find conferencing my biggest tool in motivating my kids.  If I have a difficult customer I ask the parents what their kids enjoy at home.  Whether it be a particular character, game, song, or anything I try to use it to motivate that child in school.  I also ask about things like what their consequences are at home, how the kids manage homework, where and when they do the homework, chores, and other things that help me get a bigger picture of the child in their surroundings.  I feel that so much valuable discussion can be centered around listening, and so many confusions can be cleared up. For example, I had a little guy who was taking hours to do his homework.  When mom and I talked, we found a solution to modify what he was doing and include math facts practice on the computer to supplement.  After that, homework was much more manageable for  her. I also always like to have the parents come in with wishes for the school year that they and their child have. I send home the paper below to have them bring with them to the conference.

 

 

4)  Have evidence.

For each talking point that I have with the parents I have evidence to show how their child is performing.  I especially highlight growth.  This is super fun in writing because first graders grow so much so fast.  I also show them where they need to be at the end of the year by showing samples of writing from the previous year's students and an end of the year reading passage.  I organize all of the work in a folder and put writing/reading on the left hand pocket and math on the right and pocket. In the center prongs I keep the report card.  Anything loose in the folder are resources that I'm giving the parents. I place all the folders in a file box and then put them in the cupboard until the next round of assessments/conferences.  I have also seen evidence organized in a 1 inch three ring binder, which I love. I just haven't done it yet. Next year, during back to school sales, I will buckle down and buy a class set.  

5)  Make a 6 week plan for those who need it.


A six week intervention plan is very important for any of your littles that are struggling or that you are worried about making end of the year benchmarks.  My wonderful colleague, Christine, developed a Microsoft word form plan for this, but below is my version.  I try to limit it to 3 goals.  The easy part is the what (the goals), but super important is the how (the school and at home interventions). I always schedule my 6 week plan conferences to be longer because I need to help my parents with strategies. I often give them 2-3 things that they can do each day with their child.  I give a copy of the plan to the parents and I keep a copy for myself.  This is great documentation for any student study teams you have on campus or if you need to show that you had an intervention plan.  After the six weeks we meet again and either devise a new plan or discontinue it if the student is at grade level.  

 

 Lastly, b

http://www.schroedershenanigansin2nd.com/ 

 

http://www.luckylittlelearners.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment