Image Map

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Five For Friday

[fiveforfriday2_thumb3_thumb2%255B2%255D.jpg] 




Five For Friday
1)  Working Together!
I love to see my little guys working together.  Here they are hunting for new vocabulary in our story and recording where they are finding it.  I love that they are beginning to train themselves to look for textual evidence in this fun activity (it can be found in my Johnny Appleseed Unit).

2)  In my opinion the best way to tell if a student really knows a strategy is to see if they can explain or teach it.  We've been focusing on using this as a learning strategy and using the scaffolds of a solved problem in front of them firsties can succeed.  I love the way this little guys explains the take from ten strategy perfectly.  I try to make math fun by making up little stories to go with each strategy and tool.  This one is in the math unit I'm currently working to get out on TPT.
 
 
3)  Another fun way to incorporate discourse into our math is letting the kids decide who did the best job on the work.  I usually use fake character samples when I give them problems, but I put up things that the students commonly do like leaving off labels or forgetting to answer the actual question in a math statement. 
 4)  I have had so much fun watching my little cheerleader (flier on the right with hand in the air).  For her first year in high school she has had a blast cheering her team on.  Even though rushing out on Thursdays from school to catch the afternoon game was at times a little stressful, it was worth it every time.  I love seeing my baby girl have fun!
5)  Even though I'm usually trying to get a run in before the sun sets, it's these spectacular moments that I will always be grateful for. This is a snap from one of my runs this past week.  I am so thankful that my legs take me on these runs and that I am blessed to have such a great place to run.  
 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Valerie! Nice to find your blog! You live in a beautiful place! I love your emphasis on collaboration! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful spot to run....what a blessing!! And I love how your littles are collaborating!

    Blessings, Kenz
    ShooFlyDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete