Image Map

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Putting it all together for first, second grade, or BOTH!


Managing a combination class can be tricky, but this year with some careful planning and amazing team teachers, I feel that everyone is getting what they need.  The fabulous second grade teachers at my school take my five second graders for math and the science or social studies unit they are doing.  It is an amazing help that I am so thankful for. Here’s my daily schedule and a little debriefing below:

Daily Schedule

8:15  Daily PE rotations (Mon-Thursday)

8:40  Math (Second grade goes to 2nd grade teachers classes for math –truly a blessing!  Since we are working with Eureka Math (Engage New York) this is super helpful because both grades are getting the program in full.  Because Eureka is not the most teacher friendly program in the world (but is full of awesome methods) I create Power Points for each day (some available at my TPT store).  I click through each slide and they keep us moving and on track.

9:55  Daily Math (A variation of Daily 5) where there are rotations:  math writing, independent practice, and math with a partner (usually learning games) *This is my time to pull kids/groups that need remediation or advancement.

10:20  Recess

10:40  Fiction (Narrative) Text Instruction:  This is when we cover all the CCSS Reading Literature standards.  I connect the Fiction to the Non-Fiction texts for the kids.  For example, in first grade our connected text for Rules, Rights, Responsibilities is Bud’s Day Out in our Houghton Mifflin anthology.  I do a CCSS based mini-lesson and then students finish work from the mini-lesson (I circulate to make sure there are no misconceptions that need to be corrected) and then I release to Daily 5 time for the early finishers.

11:10  Non-Fiction Text (Informative Text) Instruction- I pull both groups together across a social studies or science topic. I create informative articles at a higher level (good for some of my advanced first graders and my second graders –those kids can read it as an independent text).  For those who need more scaffolding I use the texts as more of a shared/instructional reading text.  Both groups do activities based on the CCSS Reading Informational Standards and the CCSS Writing Standards.  I use my close reading units that I created.  Right now I’m using Rules, Rights, and Responsibilities and then I’ll move into Being an American, both close reading units that are tied to writing (available at my TPT store if you are interested in looking at what they are).  Integration is the key here.  After the mini-lesson, work is given, monitored and as kids finish the students do Daily 5.  This is my time to pull reading, writing, and skill groups for remediation or advancement.  This is also the place that I really check in with my second graders to see if they need help with the science, math, or social studies that they get in their second grade partner class.   Although some topics in first and second grade overlap there are a few, like biographies and letter writing for example, that need to be explicitly taught to the second graders.  I do this through units that I’m creating and specifically targeted guided reading texts that I either created or found.


11:45  Writing (Mini-lessons and workshop writing done through mentor texts).  This is easily done for both grade levels because both grade levels have all the same three text types to cover.  The only thing that differs is the rubric that they are held accountable for (which is based on CCSS for their grade level).  I hit CCSS language standards in this area as well. I teach all three text types at once, so that the kids can get a full year's practice in each type.  In fiction and non-fiction text blocks I do units that practice all three types of writing so this block of writing is for specific modeling of things like introduction writing, similes, description, etc.  I use an interactive notebook to teach a lot of the components (in my TPT store). 


12:25  Lunch

1:10  Phonics -I pull both groups at one time – currently for first grade I’m instructing short vowels and second grade long vowels (for example:  short a/long a).  We brainstorm together, do a collaborative activity, and then for word work I use the fluency vowel units I have on TPT.  The short vowel unit even includes CCSS language standards as well.  I put the independent phonics work in the Daily 5 tubs for word work that the kids complete after my second Daily 5 block after the Fiction block.  To manage the different Daily 5 tubs for each grade level I use two different colors or you could also label them by grade level.

1:35  Daily Five-During this time of the day the students choose either Read to Self, Work on Writing, Read to a partner, Word Work, or Reading Technology (where they listen, read, or respond to a story).  I pull small groups during this time to give individualized instruction in reading and writing.  Often, we all start out with a fluency read block where we build stamina with independent reading from their book bags and then they go to choose.  If you haven't read the book The Daily 5, it is a great read, and has forever changed my classroom.  It builds independence, responsibility, and choice in a structured, manageable way.

2:30  Clean up/Daily Gratitude “I am grateful for _____”

2:45  Dismissal

There are things I still have to add in like daily goal setting, but I want to gradually work that in.  I am so grateful that the kids are so amazing and for the wonderful second grade teachers who take the second graders for math, science and social studies.  The use of effectively using integration of writing and reading across all disciplines makes achieving the common core standards doable.  I also incorporate technology throughout the units and the writing block.  Such things as iMovie, Power Point, and Story Kit are three great resources that I use to have kids show their knowledge.  I hope this helps anyone with either grade level or both imagine their day.  

Here's a link to some FREE lesson plans:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/First-grade-lesson-plans-Freebie-1670975


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is truly amazing that your teachers all work together so nicely like that! That is what true collaborative teamwork looks like! You are very lucky to work in a school like that! Thanks for linking up with us Valerie!
    Mrs. Olson’s Lucky Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I truly am. Thank you for having this link up! I love collaborating with other teacher bloggers! I just really started last year so it's super motivating for me!

      Delete