Image Map

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

More Phonics Fun!

The kids have really been inspiring me to create some new instructional routines and practices to make their learning fun for them.  Again, I'm feeling so blessed with this sweet group of students.  They let me know what they really enjoy and I can see it in my last round of testing of their reading.  The games and reading skills we have been reviewing and practicing have made a huge impact on fluency and writing.  Below are a few more pictures of some fun the kids have been having by reviewing the long vowels.  Although long vowels were already introduced earlier this year we are taking a week or so to review each of vowel spellings in depth within fluency passages, games, and writing.  I want my students to have a very strong comfort level with long vowels before heading off to second grade.  I've created units that do this and they can be spread over several weeks, used for homework, center work, Daily 5, or in a multitude of ways.  The way we've been using them is I create a packet for each student that houses the fluency, the sorts, trace, read, write, questions, and a few other of the pages in the unit. We do a whole class review and student engagement activity like "Find Your Partner" or "Guess my Word" that gets them moving and talking.  Then the kids work independently or in pairs while I pull groups.  The kids love the characters and I try my best to gear the stories to things that might interest them.  I knew I had a hit when I overheard one of my students asked their table mate, "I wonder who the Phonics Friend" will be this week."  Some of the pages are in the homework as well.  I then put out some of the other activities like write the room, read and roll, puzzles, slap it, etc... in center boxes for Daily 5 word work.  It's been working great and the word work box for Daily 5 is quickly in the lead for the kids' favorite Daily 5 activity.  Right now I'm working to try to get all the units up on TPT ...I'm almost done with long a.  We started with long e, which you will find the link to below, because I had a chunk of students who needed a refresher on ea.  I also have phonics units on oi/oy and oo.




No comments:

Post a Comment