Image Map

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Important Business of Teaching Kids to Write: Teaching Structure and Language

 
 
 
     I think the most important thing in writing is to define purpose in writing.  We write every day.  We write lists, notes, texts, emails, journal entries, blog posts, social media tags, lessons, and so much more.  Kids need to see the purpose of writing clearly.  I always start my year off by brainstorming all the ways kids and grown ups write in their lives.  It continually amazes me how long our list is and how much, even at 6, the kids see the value of writing.  I also tell them not to be afraid.  The paper won't bite.  The pencil won't yell.  And the words are wings, not chains.  
     Writing just to write won't produce proficient writers though. So, right off the bat, I teach the kids the language of writing.  I tell them, straight away, that they have only three text types to master and that those are the same text types that they will come across in second, third, fourth, and fifth grades.  That really is the beauty of the Common Core State Standards.  Simplified, it is three text types.  Yes, there are different structures within each text type, but that diversity comes with movement up the grade levels, and experience and complexity proceeds naturally.  
     I also immediately teach the kids the names of the text types:  informative, narrative, and opinion.  My wall is plastered with posters that define the text types and we immediately begin to create a song and dance for each one.  We start with identifying the purpose of each text type, what it does for a reader, and then we move into structure. From the beginning of the year we write all text types.   Before we write we verbally say the text type and recite a chant that outlines it's structure.  When we look at writing, we talk about what text type it is and why.  Before students write during structured choice writing (power writing), students share topic and text type before they actually write or plan.  Cementing this with language really helps the kids pay attention to the structure of what they are writing. Below are some of the the movements/chants we came up with this year:  




Informative Writing Chant

Narrative Writing Chant

     I also write each text type using one topic (see below).  I do this several times.  I pick a topic and then I have the kids pick a topic for me to write about.  I write an informative, narrative, and opinion piece for each topic.  The kids and I put one up on the wall labeling each part and we cut one piece up into parts.  We "discover" that although each text type has a different purpose that they have similarities.  We find out that each text type has an introduction and a conclusion.  I would have to say once I used the same language for each text type (instead of hook, opening, etc...) it completely changed teaching writing to first graders.  We called all opening sentences introductions and all closing sentences conclusions, regardless of text type.  Through my search of mentor texts and writing books I categorized different types of introductions and conclusions for my kids and I roll them out slowly, so that at the end of the year they have a bank to choose from.  They know the literary name for each type and they identify what type of introduction or conclusion they or their classmates use (this happens much later).  Having the language to name what they are writing is essential.  It makes the learning so much more concrete for little writers. This also eliminated that cookie cutter first grade writing that I had before at times (where each student uses the same opening). I will discuss in detail how to teach writing introductions in a later blog post in this series.

Part of our writing wall highlighting different introductions.

     I also give the students resources in their desks to promote independence.  I have used interactive notebooks and handbooks.  There are benefits to both, but this year I'm really loving the handbook.  I color coded each handbook so that the kids could clearly see the difference of each text type.  If they are writing narrative, they use the red handbook, opinion is blue, and informative is green.  In any given power writing session I see a sea of different colors, even within one table.  It is fantastic, and it shows me that the students can navigate the text types across a topic.  

I have created the following handbooks and if you are interested they are on TPT (link below).  There are many examples, of introductions, transitions, and conclusions that guide (but not stifle) writers.  There are also spots for students/teachers to add some different introductions, transitions, and conclusions that they find in mentor texts. 


I also address text type in homework.  I send home an outline of the structure of each text type and I send writing homework that focuses on mentor texts, color coding of structure, comprehension, and composition of a piece.  These are all available in my TPT store if interested.  I'll do a blog post later in the series about homework, but this homework has made such a huge impact on the quality of writing I have gotten this year.



Stay tuned for the next topic . . . Writing Introductions.  Sign up for my blog to keep up to date on new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment