Image Map

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Five For Friday January 29, 2016

1)  Writing Goals!  

We're at that point in first grade where it's time to fine tune our writing for the second half of the year.  I feel my firsties have a nice concept of the text types and they no longer are afraid to write and make mistakes.  I love this part of the year!  They are talking about different introductions, coming up with new conclusions, and reading like writers.  Just the other day, one of my little guys came running up to me with his iPad, pointing a page in his Raz Kids book:  "Look! Mrs. Miller, they wrote the conclusion the "J" way!  He noticed that the author used a comparison to conclude the writing.  We nicknamed it the "J" way after one of my students last year who LOVED to conclude his writing that way.  I'm always looking for new easy ways to manage writing goals, since they shift so often.  So, I decided to let the kids choose a character to represent themselves, color it, and then I typed up their writing goal (that we discussed together). I printed it on colored paper and stapled them to the wall at their eye level so that they could physically check their writing goal daily before they decided to write or do Daily 5.  When they are ready to move on from that goal, I'll staple a new goal on top.  That way the kids can have a record of all the goals they mastered or worked on during the year.  It has been a great success so far!  Kids love going to the board, and I love the kids taking charge of their learning.  When we conference now, the first thing they do is address how they did on their goal.  They are motivated to master it and try a new one.  Once again, I love first graders. Their openness and excitement is contagious!

2)  Writing Complete Sentences!

Up until this point I've done a lot of scaffolding when we respond to literature or informational text.  I've modeled, done lots of oral practice, and explicit teaching on how to answer questions using the tools the questions give us (word choice, spelling, etc.).  This week I released, but not without bringing some fun into the mix.  Right now we are doing our Being an American (American symbols, heroes, and landmarks) unit.  Our article, on the Bald Eagle, had lots of great information and I wanted the kids to answer (in complete sentences)  the text dependent questions. To make sure the kids had a good concept of what to do and what not to do, I had each table put together puzzles that contained the question, the correct way to answer it (in a complete sentence) and the incorrect way to answer  it.  They had so much fun putting together the puzzles, talking about the right way to do it, and laughing about the wrong way to do it.  First graders love to point out mistakes!  They also did so much reading during the activity.  When they all went to answer the questions on paper in their Being an American book they were met with success!  I just added these puzzles to my unit, as well as, Find Your Partner/Center activities, and an adorable Statue of Liberty craftivity.   My student teacher and I were amazed at how much better they did this week than last.  If you bought my Being an American unit on TpT please look for the update and re-download for FREE.  I am continually adding new things as I work with my firsties to all my units.  
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Common-Core-Close-Reading-First-Grade-Being-An-American-1176650?aref=bc3878k2
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Common-Core-Close-Reading-First-Grade-Being-An-American-1176650?aref=bc3878k2
3)  Script Writing!
I love Daily 5.  I love the freedom of choice. I love the freedom of learning.  And I love to see photos like the one below.  The little guy in the foreground is reading about hammerhead sharks, taking notes, and preparing to make an iMovie script.  After the script is done and we have edited/revised together, he will put together his iMovie after screenshotting and editing images that he chooses.  At this point in the year, this is one of my firsties favorite things to do.  They love being movie makers!  I love the writing that they do in this process.  I designed scripts that go with each text type, and basically follow the structure of the text type.  This little guy is working on an informative movie on hammerhead sharks.  He will take notes, write his script (that is basically an informative piece in script format), and create his movie.  We share them with parents and in class.  The other thing I love about this picture is that it is choice in action.  The little across from him is working on his long vowel o packet.  He chose word work for his daily 5 task.  Seriously, if you haven't read about Daily 5 yet, check it out. It is definitely worth a look!

4)  Marathon Training!


I'm so excited to be training for my first marathon in almost 16 years!  If you haven't heard of Hal Higdon's training schedules check them out!  I used his schedule 16 years ago and I'm using his today.  Although injury free is a promise no one can make, his schedules are a good bet to keep you healthy in your pursuit of your goal.  I'm following the one below for now, and might advance up to the next level, if I can.  That is, if life allows me.  This one is an intermediate 1 schedule, but he has all levels.  I'm excited!  



5)  February Writing


We've been doing writing homework all year, focusing on one text type each month.  I'm excited that this month, February, I'm mixing up all the text types in the month and letting the kids practice all 3 in homework.  In class we've been practicing all 3 types all year, but I wanted parents and kids to have a firm concept of what each text type entailed in homework.  They are ready!  If you're interested in this unit, check it out below.  We do it for homework, but it can be done in class too.  Each topic comes with paired, mentor texts, activities, and a writing prompt/activity with plan.  The unit also provides for differentiation and comes with wall posters that outline each text type.  

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/February-Writing-Common-Core-Opinion-Informative-and-Narrative-Writing-2354896

  

No comments:

Post a Comment