Image Map

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mentor Text Writing

writing using Knuffle Bunny Too
Mentor Texts to write narratives
I have been working a lot with mentor text writing this year to raise the sophistication of my student's writing.  I wanted to get away from the basic first, next, then, finally and teach the students to write with voice and flair.  One night when I was reading the book,  Knuffle Bunny Too, to my son I noticed how great the opening, transitions, and closing were in the story.  I've always loved Mo Willems' quirky style and his books have been a favorite in my house and classroom.  As I thought about it I decided to plan a narrative writing unit around this book.  It was a HUGE success.  The kids loved it, and the writing improvement I saw was amazing.  I organized it as a sentence by sentence unit so we could really focus on editing.  I loved how this unit worked, and it was perfect for first grade. Check out how I used the mentor sentence approach and gradual release to teach narrative writing:

No comments:

Post a Comment